WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Limoncello Trifle

What is a Mum?


I have an apron which I think sums this up quite nicely.

Multiskilled
Unpaid
Miracle worker

Mother's Day is all about memories. Some good, some not so good. I want to share with you a recipe from a Mother's Day Lunch I had several years ago. The memories are good for me because it was a time I remember my brother being with us, and he asked for the recipe - I don't know if he ever made it - but here's to you Burt!!  Love you and miss you!



Limoncello Trifle

1 cup (220g) caster sugar
100ml Limoncello
300g Blueberries
1/2 tsp cornflour
5 eggs, seperated
250g Mascapone
1/3 cup (4 tbs) Lemon Curd
Panettone Cake, or Madeira Cake, cut into 2cm thick slices
Whipped Cream
Toasted almonds

Place 100g of the caster sugar in a saucepan with 300ml water and stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove 1/3 cup (80ml) of the syrup and place in a bowl with the Limoncello, stirring to combine. Set aside. Add the blueberries to the remaining sugar syrup and cook for about 2 minutes over low heat until they just begin to release their juice.

Meanwhile, combine the cornflour and 2 tbs of water and stir until smooth. Add to the blueberries and cook, stirring for a further minute until thickened. Set aside and allow to cool.

Place the egg yolks and remaining 120g caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until pale and thick. Beat in the mascapone and lemon curd.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, then gently fold them into the mascarpone and lemon curd mixture.

Place a layer of cake in the base of a 1.5 litre bowl, brush with some of the Limoncello syrup, then spread with a third of the mascarpone mixture. Drizzle with 1/3 of the blueberries and their syrup. Repeat the layers, then top with a final layer of cake. Brush with the syrup and top with the remaining mascarpone. Reserve the remaining blueberries for garnishing the top.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight if possible, to allow the flavours to develop.

Just before serving, top with whipped cream, scatter over the reserved blueberries and the flaked almonds.

Sweet memories!!

Have a lovely Mother's Day to all you Mothers out there.

PS. As I type the wafting aromoa of Osso Bucco is coming from the kitchen. I have also made a Torta Caprese. I will share these recipes with you tomorrow when I have "tested/tasted" them!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I have been searching everywhere in my house for the magazine with this recipe in, as I usually make this every Christmas, but haven't been able to find it.

    Thanks again! Jess

    ReplyDelete