WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Citrus Pork Chops with Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad

So what is that is appeals most to you about Blog Surfing?

In many ways it is a lot like picking up a magazine - a good blog will have the lovely photos there to entice you and tantalise your taste buds, and the stories abound - but somehow Blog Surfing is a little different.

To me the difference is that in "Blog World" the words in the stories have not been touched by countless wordsmiths, and polished and buffed until they shine like pure poetic prose - they are words from the heart, purely and simply, as they are felt.

These stories offer us a glimpse into other people worlds.  We can live vicariously through the blogs that travel to places we only dream of going.  Others take us to eat at restaurants that we have heard about, and would one day like to go to.  Or others still, offer us a glimpse, almost voyeuristically, into other people's lives - we get to see how they live, what they eat, and I think more importantly, we get a glimmer that they are real people just like us.

Dear Readers I have not been posting much this week as I am afraid there has not been much that is bloggable. You see I am embarking on... and dare I say it .... but if I do then it is committed to cyberspace and I must make good.....yes, I have started the New Year's Resolution Diet!!!

So rather than post a somewhat Bridget Jones' Diary type of post - you know the kind

0 units cigarettes
0 unit alcohol
lost 1.5kg

I am only going to blog meals that I think are worthy of mention.  Last night's fell into that category.

I had saved all my protein for dinner - had only had a lunch of Hommus (homemade of course in the Thermomix!!) and vegetables - so I was pretty hungry come dinner time.

This salad looked absolutely scrumptious (and it was!!) - all vegetable - so could eat lots of it - and the flavour.... well you have to try it yourself.

The recipe also has the Citrus theme for the Cookbook Challenge!

As usual what to put with it... how about some pork cutlets, we had a citrus theme going with the salad dressing, so let's concoct a marinade in the same vein for the pork.  Here is what eventuated.



Citrus Pork Chops


Serves 4-6

Pork Cutlets - 1-2 per person
5cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
zest and juice of 1 orange
2 tbs honey (50g)
1/2 cup sweet sherry (120g)

Now because I have the Thermomix I tend to throw all the ingredients that need chopping (garlic, ginger, and orange) into the TM bowl (just cut the orange into quarters) and give it a whizz on speed 7 for 20 seconds, scraping down the bowl halfway through.  Then add the sherry and honey, and process on speed 4 for 7 seconds.  Of course if you don't have the Thermomix - just combine all the ingredients.  Once combined, place the marinade and the chops into a large ziploc bag and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, preferably longer.

When ready to cook, preheat the BBQ to medium high, and cook for 4-5 minutes each side, or until cooked to your liking.



Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad
Serves 6
Recipe from Super Food Ideas February edition

700g butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
1/4 cup olive oil *
1 tbs orange juice*
1 baby cos lettuce
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts
1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 200C.  Line a large baking tray with baking paper.

Combine pumpkin, coriander, chilli flakes and 1 tbs of oil in a bowl.



Place pumpkin mixture on prepared tray.  Roast for 20-25 minutes or until tender.  Set aside for 40 minutes to cool.

Place orange juice and remaining oil in a secure top jar.  Season with salt and pepper.  Secure lid.  Shake to combine. ** I actually used the juice of the whole orange and used less oil - and I really liked it this way.

Remove the outer leaves and core from the lettuce, separate and wash the leaves.  Pat dry with paper towels.  Roughly chop the leaves.  Place the lettuce, chickpeas, pecans, parsley and pumpkin mixture in a bowl.

Add dressing, and toss to combine, when ready to serve.





Serve with some corn on the cob, and you have a lovely healthy dinner!  This was a true winner - the citrus flavours combined so beautifully - I just couldn't get enough of the salad -
(well I was pretty hungry!)This meal in no way felt like I had made any compromises ... yumm.

So Dear Readers, what do you like most about blog surfing, dare to tell - are you one that lives your life vicariously through others, or are you a little voyeuristic??  Do tell.

5 comments:

  1. I started my blog for friends and family, as I was away half of the year, I am now delighted that my number of friend's world wide has expanded so much. My real joy comes from receiving all the comments and building new friendships. I agree reading other blogs is like a magazine that comes straight from the heart with out all the trimmings. So much more down to earth.
    I love this meal, you have picked all my favourite foods. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a thermomix? I'm so terribly jealous - I use them at work all the time, they are fab ! This looks delicious and so nourishing, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The food bloggers enemy... weight gain! I am so pleased you will be blogging low fat food! Can you include a calorie count per serve so I can do my diet to your site.

    Lets just say, all the cakes that I cook have found their way onto my middrift. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not really counting calories - I am following the CSIRO diet (in my fashion) - so watching the carbs (usually none at dinner - unless I have been super good and saved some from lunch!!) and about 300g of protein a day. Super easy

    ReplyDelete