WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sticky Salmon Noodle Salad

The theme for this fortnight's Cookbook Challenge is Rice/Noodles.

There are so many things that could be made with either of these ingredients, and I am sure that I will come up with several entries in this theme.  The first dish that I have made using these ingredients however, is this Sticky Salmon Noodle Salad.

The recipe is in the current edition of Super Food Ideas, and the photo appealed to me as soon as I saw it.  I find that I often embark upon a recipe without too much thought as to how the dish will actually taste (I don't know how I can possibly do that - I mean, I guess I must have some sort of an idea - otherwise why would I make it - but I don't think the penny actually drops until I have made it.) This was the case last night.  As I put the components together I was struck by how similar it was in flavours to the Beef Salad that I made several weeks ago - but this was oh so much better because the "meat" part of it was my favourite - salmon!!!



Sticky Salmon Noodle Salad
From Super Food Ideas February edition
Serves 2


2 tbs brown sugar
2 tbs dark soy sauce
1 clove crushed garlic
2cm piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 x pieces of salmon tail fillet
270g noodles (I used thin egg noodles)
1 small lebanese cucumber, halved, sliced diagonally
2 green onions, thinly sliced
50g mixed lettuce leaves
200g cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size
2 tbs fresh mint, chopped
2 tbs fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbs oil
2 tbs sweet chilli sauce

Combine the sugar, soy sauce, garlic and ginger in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.  Add the salmon. Turn to coat.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for the flavours to develop.


Cook the noodles according to packet directions.  Drain, then rinse, and then drain well.



In a bowl combine the cucumber, onion, lettuce, tomato, mint and coriander.  Add the noodles, then toss to combine well.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat.  Remove the salmon from the marinade.  Cook for 2-3 minutes each side (for medium) or until cooked to your liking.  Transfer the salmon to a plate.

There are two options here - you can either flake the salmon into the salad and serve.  Or you can plate up the salad and top with the piece of salmon.  I took the second option as I didn't want to miss out on any of "my" salmon.  It would definitely look a little prettier is you flaked the salmon through the noodle salad - but you know it's not always about looks is it?  Anyway - you decide.  Which ever way you do it - sprinkle the top of the salmon/or salad with the sweet chilli sauce.



After making this dish I was thinking that another nice addition to the salad would be some chopped cashews - see what you think when you try this.  This is a lovely light, refreshing dinner, and I will definitely make it again (but with the addition of cashews!!)

5 comments:

  1. I love salmon and this is quite different to anything I have cooked. This is on my 'to do' list, love the flavours in the recipe.Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got loads to salmon right now, so you better believe this will end up on my plate soon! Looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious salmon recipe! :) I love the sweetness of the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so sticky, sweet and delicious. I can imagine licking it off my fingers...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW...that looks great....I am always looking for new ways to make salmon. Thanks for sharing this one!

    ReplyDelete