WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hoisin Pork Belly Rashers

Is there anything better on a cold winter's night than a piece of meltingly soft, sweet, juicy pork belly?  I think not!!

Last night was a cold blustery night here in Sydney - and we were in need of some serious comfort food!!

I was inspired by a recipe that I saw in Super Food Ideas - in the magazine there was a section on pork spare ribs.  Whenever I serve pork ribs of any kind in this house I know that everyone will leave the table smiling!

I used to steer away from cooking the pork belly rashers - I felt that they were just too fatty - but if you treat them lovingly and cook them well, then a lot of the fat is rendered out of them (that's what I like to tell myself anyway!!)



Hoisin Pork Belly Rashers
Adapted from a recipe in Super Food Ideas June edition

Serves 6

2kg pork belly rashers, cut into approximately 10cm long pieces
3 cloves garlic, crushed
5cm piece ginger, finely chopped
1 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup Shao Xing Cooking Wine
3tbs brown sugar

2 tbs hoisin sauce, extra
1 tbs honey

Preheat oven to 160 degrees.

Combine the garlic, ginger, 1 cup hoisin sauce, light soy, cooking wine and brown sugar in a large bowl.

Add the pork belly rashers, mix well to coat the pork in the sauce.

Line a large disposable foil baking tray with baking paper.  Add the pork belly rashers to the pan.  I lined mine all so that the skin side was facing up to start off with.  Make sure there is adequate amount of the marinade on the pork, but make sure you still have some left to brush over during the cooking.


Cook in oven for 2 hours - turning every 30-45 minutes.  Brush with reserved marinade as needed.

When you get to the last 20 minutes of baking.  Combine the extra hoisin sauce and honey together.  Brush this over the pork, and bake for an additional 20 minutes to make them irresistibly sticky and sweet!!!



I am not going to tell you that these are low fat - but a lot of the fat had rendered out and was left in the baking dish (if you are smart and use disposable - you can now just throw the "washing up" out!!!).

To make yourself feel a little bit better I recommend you serve a big plate of steamed greens, that have been drizzled in ketchap manis, along with the pork.



Of course the obligatory steamed rice is needed here as well!  Am I making your mouth salivate????

Last night "The Darlings" must have been off their game a little, and we did end up with a few pieces left over - but you know what - as one of them said "This is going to make a great pizza!!!"  Into the ziploc bag they went, and they were loving tucked away in the freezer until we make pizza on sunday night!!!  Sticky Hoisin Pork Pizza!! Yum!

So Dear Readers how did you keep yourselves warm last night - was it a soup or a stew?


16 comments:

  1. Yum, so sticky and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. last night was sooo cold, I'm glad netball training was called off! Spaghetti and meatballs was on offer in my household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite types of meals! I think I may have to cook this tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was not until I read salivate that I realised I was swallowing. These are on the menu for saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God! These are amazing! I made them and cooled them for a picnic with my boyfriend. I'm pretty sure that they are half the reason that he loves me... THANKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely divine!! Cooked them for 6 year old daughter and co the other day and went down a storm. May have to add to our barbecue menu when we're catering for marquee weddings and parties at our country house hotel, Winder Hall. See, you've sent a little bit of American sunshine over to Cockermouth in the Lake District, Cumbria :) Thanks Cate - really delicious!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cate,this is my favourite dish and I make it quite often. Nothing better than piggy fat mmmmm...
    Sometimes I chop them up and add them to fried rice or noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cate these look devine will be adding to favourites to make later in the week. I wil be unfortunately working out the calories though am on a fitness weight loss kick but pretty sure I will be able to work them in to my daily allowance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. is there something missing? does this really only need to cook at 160 degrees?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are rashers just the plain pork belly in the market? If so, how many packs to use. Can this be made spicy? I love heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rashers are slices thicker than bacon,about 10 inches long. I'm sure you can add gochujang or pepper flakes to make it spicy, but everyone I serve it to likes it as is. Even my husband, who also likes spicy, likes the recipe as is.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is the 160 degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius. it seems a little low to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you remove the rind or does that become crispy or chewy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This Hoisin Pork Belly Rashers is so good. I added a bit of Kikkoman Ponzu Citrus Seasoned Dressing & Sauce for a more flavorful taste. It's delicious! Best paired with Ocean Bomb Bubble Milk Tea.

    ReplyDelete