WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Baked Lamb Chops

One of the best things about "The Darlings" being back at school is that I can now walk leisurely around the local shopping centre, poking my nose into anything that interests me, without being told to hurry up.

Yesterday as I strolled around, I noticed that our local Borders was closing down.  Being the book lover that I am I couldn't help myself - I am always on the lookout for new books.  I have a bookshelf that groans under the weight of many books - 2/3 read - but many just waiting patiently for my attention.

I entered the store - pass the latest releases - see the piles of Gary and George's Your Place or Mine - no not interested.  Pass through the "True Crime" section - I do love a true crime book - but still nothing there that takes my fancy - onto the triller section - still nothing - but you know where I am heading don't you???  I make my way to the back of the store where I hear a little more noise coming from - yes, the cookbook section!!!!

While the shelves may be almost decimated, the aisles are full of women buzzing "oooh look - this looks great - hey I will get this book, you get that one, and you get that one, and then we can share".  There is serious business going on in this aisle.  I push my way through so I too can peruse the titles.  I don't go for the obvious ones - I look at some of the more obscure titles -  I found some gems - one all about Macarons, another called Fish Food (a whole book on seafood!!) and another one entitled Grill.

After making my purchases I feel a tad guilty - I really don't need any more cookbooks, yet here I have just bought 3 more!!!  Then the lightbulb goes off in my head - I know - I will give them to "The Darlings" to give to me for Mother's Day!!!! Stroke of genius there!  Only problem is that I have to wait until Sunday to read them!

Luckily for me in the mail that afternoon was the latest edition of the MasterChef Magazine - I will just have to contend myself with that until Sunday - not hard as there are some lovely recipes in there that I can't wait to try - like Crab Bouillabaisse, Lamb Shanks Braised in Yoghurt and Honey and a Lobster Bisque Linguine!!!

On to more serious issues - what to have for dinner tonight?  I asked Mr. CCC that morning what he wanted - the answer "something plain, something bland, something light!"  Well his and my definitions are pretty much totally opposite, so I asked for clarification - he said he wanted crumbed chops - now which category does that fit into? (certainly not the light) - I told him I would have to take out a second mortgage on the house to feed 5 people with lamb cutlets - so put the thinking cap on.  I guess it should be some form of lamb then.  Here is what eventuated.





Baked Lamb Chops
Adapted from Taste.com.au

Serves 4-6


7 Lamb Chops (I bought Leg chops - but probably those little T bone like loin chops would be best)
1 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
3cm piece of ginger, finely chopped

I used the Thermomix - only because it makes life easy - but you just need to combine the ingredients.

Place the garlic and ginger in the TM bowl - process for 5 seconds on speed 7.

Add the orange juice and the marmalade, process for 3 seconds on speed 5.

Place the lamb chops in a baking dish - cover in the marinade.  You can bake straight away, or let sit in the marinade for a while.



Accompaniments:

Baked Pumpkin
Roasted Potatoes
Steamed Green Beans


Preheat oven to 200 degrees.

Peel and cut the pumpkin into large chunks.  Peel and cut the potatoes into quarters.  Toss in a liberal amount of olive oil and crushed garlic.

Place the vegetables onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.

Bake for 25 minutes, turning at least once.

Add the lamb chops.  Bake for an additional 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and the meat is cooked.



Look, this wasn't my favourite meal - I  am not a huge lamb fan - but the men of the house were happy - so was the dog with all those bones!

I get told that I shouldn't write my blog only about the food that I like - so this one is for all the lamb lovers out there - this one is for the lovers of simple food - this one is for the people that just want an easy meal.  I hope you enjoy it!

I can't wait until I get my hands on my new cookbooks - lets see what I dish up then!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. i love easy meals, they can be just as delicious! i avoid shops altogether (except for food) so i'm not tempted to buy anything (on maternity leave equals no money!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lamb but it is very expensive here. Love this recipe though. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lamb chops - better flick this post over to The Boy who seems to be cooking up a storm lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol I just made lamb chops the other night with some potatoes and green beans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We rarely have lamb these days, it is so expensive. I'm looking for slow cooker recipes to give my daughter - those in the book that came with it are not the greatest. How do you think this would go in the SC?

    ReplyDelete