WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, November 8, 2010

Chocolate Cornflake Slice & Cornflake Cookies

Joy, oh joy, I have my oven back in action!!  I have all my appendages back in action!!!

A rainy weekend, what is a girl to do (particularly when her oven has been out of action) - BAKE of course!!!

In the interests of school lunches I set to to make a few treats!!

I had purchased a packet of corn flakes at some point to make something - don't actually remember what now, so I thought I must make something to use these up - pulled out the ancient Women's Weekly Beautiful Biscuits Cookbook (circa .... well let's not admit!!!) went to the cornflake section - and there they were - they were called Weekender Biscuits - but I say into the new millenium - they are now Cornflake Cookies!!!!



Cornflake Cookies


Makes approx 24

125g butter
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup sultanas
1 cup self raising flour
2 cups lightly crushed cornflakes


Preheat oven to 180C.

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, beat well.  Fold in the sifted flour and sultanas . mix well.  Drop teaspoonfuls of mixture into the cornflakes, roll lightly.



Place onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper (make sure you allow room for spreading).



Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden.

Allow to cool on trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.



Now, I did not use all of the crushed cornflake crumbs - and there was still a lot left in the box, so I decided to convert an old favourite - Weet Bix Slice - into Corn Flake Slice!!



Corn Flake Slice

1 cup self  raising flour
1 cup crushed corn flakes
1 dessertspoon cocoa powder
1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
3/4 coconut (I used shredded)
125g butter, melted

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.  Press mixture into a slice (lamington tin).










Bake in oven (180C) for 10 minutes.

Remove from oven - allow to cool slightly - then ice with chocolate icing.


Chocolate Icing
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbs cocoa
few drops vanilla essence
20g butter, melted
1 tbs milk (plus extra if needed)

Coconut, extra


Place the icing sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and butter in a bowl.  Mix together, then add 1 tablespoon of milk, adding more if necessary to form a smooth paste.

The end result - I think Cornflakes make the slice even better - more crunch - this is now my new favourite!!

Now all is balanced in the world - when your oven works -you feel so much better!!  Plus I have been to the movies this afternoon - I saw Eat Pray Love - I think an odyssey of my own is in the cards!!!!

So Dear Readers what do you do when the weather turns bad - do you bake up a storm??? Or do you go to the movies and "escape" for a while??

7 comments:

  1. Yes, I bake up a storm too when weather turns bad. Love these cookies and slices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love Chocolate Slice - you don't see it around enough these days! I have fond memories of school fetes and chocolate slice. Corn flakes are always great in cookies and slices :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. Have you ever tried Afghan cookies (recipe on my site if you're interested)? They have cornflakes in them and they are really good and unusual! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mm cornflakes put to good use!

    Those cookies look so yummy. Are they soft chewy ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the slice using the original weetbix crumbs when we finished the pack this week. My mixture was quite dry so I added an egg which worked well. It was popular with everyone, thanks! I sprinkled hundreds and thousands on my icing which did help its appeal with the little people (not sure that chocolate icing needs help?).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Thank you I have been trying to find that Chocolate Cornflake slice for years....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weekender Biscuits!! YES!!! I actually came on here searching for this exact recipe! I used to make it as a child, from my mum's WW cookbook, and now want to make it for my boys...
    Thank-you :) I just hope they're as good as I remember them to be!

    ReplyDelete