WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Prawn Saganaki

Have you seen the Christmas edition of MasterChef Magazine - doesn't George look so cute with his little ice cream???

On the cover is also a very good looking dish - called George and Gary's barbecued prawns.  Anytime prawns are mentioned you have my attention.  Quick turn to the recipe - and before you know it I'm shopping for the ingredients.  I did modify the recipe slightly - sorry, but I just don't think 5 prawns is enough for me - besides this was the only dish we were having!

Traditionally Prawns Saganaki are baked in the oven with tomatoes, and this is the way I usually make it - so I was very interested to see how this barbecued version would turn out.



Prawns Saganaki
Adapted from Recipe in MasterChef Magazine - December edition

Serves 4 (but hey this is prawns we are talking about - adjust accordingly!!)

1.2kg green king prawns
4 cloves crushed garlic
2 long red chillies, seeded, finley chopped
1/4 cup coriander, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
*125g yellow and red cherry tomatoes
*125g baby roma tomatoes
* 125g kumatoes
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
200g feta cheese, crumbled
** 1 bunch of asparagus (optional - not in the recipe)

Crusty bread to serve.

To butterfly the prawns, using kitchen scissors cut through the underside of each prawn, working from the head to the tail.  Using a small, sharp knife cut halfway into the flesh where it is exposed.  To remove the digestive (poop shute) tract carefully pull the "vein" through the opening at the head and discard.  (This is actually a lot harder than it sounds - so if you like - remove the head, cut through the legs, and remove the poop shute - still not easy - but that is how I did it!!).  If you are looking to make it a "cleaner" meal - I suggest you remove all the shell and just leave on the tail (but are your removing some of the flavour??).

To marinate the prawns, place the prawns cut side up on a tray.  Scatter with the chilli, garlic and coriander, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt.  (I added all the above to a large bowl and mixed well!!)  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.



Preheat the BBQ to high.  Place a heavy based frypan at one end.  Add the tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Cook turning occasionally for 4 minutes, or until blistered.  Transfer to a platter.

Meanwhile cook prawns at the other end of the BBQ, flesh side down, for 2 minutes.  Turn and cook for a further minute.  Place the cooked prawns over the tomatoes.

Scatter with parsley and feta, drizzle with olive oil and serve with crusty bread.



* I added a whole punnet (400g of mixed tomatoes) - this gave it a lovely "sauce"!






















** While I was shopping I found some beautiful looking fresh thin asparagus - so I decided to add these to the grill as well.

The verdict - with a glass of chilled white wine and some crunchy sourdough bread this was "summer on a plate"!!!  Will definitely add this to the menu again!!!

PS: Make sure you add some waterbowls - as this is a very "messy fingers" dish!!!!

So Dear Readers what is "Summer on a Plate" to you???  Seafood?  Chicken?? Do tell.

2 comments:

  1. that looks fantastic... I have nothing on for dinner yet... and looking at food is making me hungry! Summer for me is BBQ's and salad, berries and closer to Christmas, stone fruit and cherries. YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could afford seafood in the UK as we both love it. On the otherhand it is generally so cheap in France especially at the markets. We make pigs of ourselves when we are there, especially oysters! This recipe looks delicious. Diane

    ReplyDelete