WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shortbread

One of my Dear Readers told me that she was going to try the Double Choc Chip Oatmeal Cookie recipe that I made on the weekend - but commented that one of her children would like White Chocolate and Cranberry.  I told her that I have a recipe for shortbread that I make with these two ingredients in it.

This recipe is one that I have been making since the early 80's - and  in my usual manner I have adapted it to make it mine!!  It is my little "Christmas secret recipe" - every year I make several batches in various different flavours - they make great presents - you tie up several different varieties in clear cellophane with pretty ribbons and you have a gift that everyone loves.

Basic Shortbread Recipe

Makes approximately 1 1/2 dozen small shortbread.
You need to have "mini" muffin pans to make this "my way".

250g butter
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/3 cup cornflour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/3 cups plain flour.

Melt the butter and allow it to cool slightly.

Sift the icing sugar and cornflour into the bowl of a mixer.  Add the sugar.  Add the butter and vanilla, and beat the mixture until it is thick and creamy. (This can seem like it is never going to happen sometimes - be patient - it will happen!!)

Add the sifted flour and mix well.

At this point this is where your "options" take place

Options:


chocolate chips
white choc chips and chopped macadamias
white choc chips and dried cranberries
grated orange rind and poppy seeds
chopped hazlenuts

the options are only limited by your imagination!!

Mix in your options.

Press approximately a large teaspoon of mixture into the mini muffin tins - you want the tins to be 3/4 full.  Press the mixture down with the back of a teaspoon.  Sprinkle the top with a little sugar.

Bake at 180 degrees C for about 10 minutes, or until the edges are starting to turn slightly brown.

Leave in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then gently prize from the tins with a sharp knife.  Allow to cool completely on cooling racks.

There you have it - a fabulous little shortbread that really is so simple to make and appreciated so much by whoever receives it.

No comments:

Post a Comment