WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Spanish Style Chicken

There is a nineteenth century proverbial phase that was penned by Robert Browning in 1855 that quotes
"less is more".  This is a notion that simplicity and clarity lead to good design.

As I was browsing through the latest edition of Super Food Ideas I found a recipe that had only 6 ingredients.  I looked at the ingredients and thought to myself - there is nothing special there - chicken, onions, bottled pasta sauce..... will this recipe be any different to say a bolognaise?  Well you know me always looking for something that is quick to prepare, and won't offend "the darlings" with too many vegetables (or should I say, not take me too long to pick them out of their meals before I serve them!!)  I decided to give this recipe a try, and you know what I was rewarded with a lovely meal.



Spanish Style Chicken


Serves 5


1.2kg chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes approx 4-5cm
1-2 tbs olive oil
2 red onions, halved and cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, crushed
500g jar tomato and basil pasta sauce (I used Raguletto)
100g artichoke hearts (in brine, not oil), drained (I used Sandhurst)
Kalamata olives - as many or as little as you like!!

Heat a small amount of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat.  Cook the chicken in batches until golden.  Transfer to a plate.

Heat a little more olive oil in the pan, add the onion and garlic.  Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is softened.

Return the chicken to the pan, add the pasta sauce, and simmer for around 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and tender.

Add the artichokes and olives to the sauce.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.

This dish is great served over risoni pasta - but you could also serve it with rice.

So there you have it - a simple, tasty dish that has only 7 ingredients (I added garlic - you can't have a tomato based dish without garlic can you?)

I was pleasantly surprised by the flavours in this dish, and it proved to me that "less is more".

So Dear Readers do you have a "less is more" dish that you make??

I apologise for the smears on the plate - I realised afterwards (when there was no more food left to take another photo) that I hadn't "stylised" the plate!!

No comments:

Post a Comment