WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, October 8, 2010

Cheap & Cheerful - Tuna Croquettes

Not a lot has been happening in the kitchen at CCC this week - well nothing of real note.  It has been quick and easy, get it on the table stuff.

I will share the following recipe you - although it was not a huge success for me.  You see "The Darlings" don't like tuna!  Once I got them to eat it in a pasta dish - when cornered for a name I called it Chicken of the Sea!  As soon as I had uttered those words they started gagging, and they were not to be fooled this time!  I actually quite like a good tuna croquette - but you can't please everyone!  I haven't had much success with making these in the past - but I must say although not a success on the table they were a success as far as the making of them was concerned.


Tuna Croquettes


Mades 15 croquettes


500g potatoes
500g can tuna in brine
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 egg
cornflake crumbs


Peel, and cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender.  Drain well.  Mash - do not add anything!!  Transfer to a shallow bowl and put in the freezer for 5 minutes.


Remove from the freezer and add the flaked tuna, chopped shallots, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.


Take a small handfull of the mixture and shake into a croquette shape.  I found it was best to shape them all before I attempted to crumb them.


Place the cornflake crumbs in a large flat plate.  Roll the croquettes in the crumbs, then place on a tray that has been lined with baking paper.






Place the crumbed croquettes in the freezer for 5-10 minutes.


Heat about 1/2cm of oil in a frypan, and lightly fry all sides of the croquette, until golden, and heated through.




They may not be everyone's cup of tea, and they are certainly not gourmet - but if you are looking for something to stretch the budget a little further they certainly are a cheap meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment