WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Asian Style Guinness Baby Back Ribs

Wandering around the many food blogs that are out there, you often stumble across little culinary gems that you just have to try.  We love our ribs in this house, so when I found this recipe on Ellie's blog Almost Bourdain I knew I just had to try it!!!

What can I say - they were delicious - and really quite easy so don't be put off by the 2 stages.  The only thing I pondered was what to serve with them?  To us ribs are not complete without corn on the cob and a baked potato - so I tried something a little different with the corn.



Asian Style Guinness Baby Back Ribs

Serves 4

Marinade

725ml Guinness
1 large onion, sliced
125ml salt reduced soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
60ml sesame oil
3 tbs minced garlic

Glaze

250ml honey
60ml salt reduced soy sauce
2 tbs chopped fresh coriander
1 tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 red chilli, seeds and membrane removed, finely diced *

                                 Glaze

To prepare the marinade in a large bowl whisk together the Guinness, onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and minced garlic.  Place the ribs in a glass baking dish (or a large ziploc bag!)  Pour in the marinade, cover and refrigerate overnight.

To make the glaze whisk together in medium bowl the honey, soy sauce, coriander, garlic, pepper and chilli.

Now here is what I did - if you want to see the grill option visit Ellie's blog.

* Ellie didn't add the chilli - but the photo that she showed had flecks of red in it - so I took the liberty of adding the chilli.

I used a large disposable baking dish - placed a rack in it, then sprayed the rack with non stick oil.

Preheat oven to 160C.

Drain the ribs.  Place in a single layer on the rack.  Make sure you add the onions from the marinade!!!  Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.  At the 30 minute mark, brush the ribs liberally with the glaze.  Cook for an additional 30 minutes, glaze again.  Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes - just to cook on the additional glaze!



Corn on the Cob

Onto a rectangle of foil place the corn.  Pour over approximately 1 tsp sesame oil,  small amount of garlic, then pour over a small amount of ketchap manis.  Top with a small knob of butter, wrap tightly and cook in the oven for an hour.



You can also wrap a scrubbed potato in foil and bake alongside the corn - that way you can sit back and relax and just wait for it all to be cooked!  How easy is that!!!

Thanks Ellie for another dinner winner!

So Dear Readers what little gems have you discovered reading other people's food blogs?

3 comments:

  1. Yum! What a neat way to cook corn - I never thought of doing anything to my corn other than boiling it. I'm going to try and make Chinese green beans with pork mince from a blog I've read...just need to track down all the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always roast corn - especially when I am roasting a chicken - its not juicy - but it gives it another dimension - I really like it. I usually do it with ketchap manic, olive oil and garlic then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, these ribs look delicious, I am sure my hubby would approve of this dish. I think it is back to the kitchen for me.! I noticed you had been over to my site so I thought I would pop in and say hi, I am so pleased I did I am adding you to my blog roll, great site!

    ReplyDelete