WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Slow Roasted Tomato Lamb

As you know I recently bought one of those internet deals - you know one of those "too good to be true" ones!!  Well it wasn't and I am still eating the "fall out" - it was a meat package!  In there was a leg of lamb - now I am past the winter roasts - so what would I do with it that was perhaps a little different?  I sat on the internet and came up with a recipe that I modified to suit.  It was a sport night, so I had lots of time to play with (by that I mean leave it in the oven!!)




Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb
Served 5 (with leftovers)


1 x leg of lamb (mine was almost 3 kg) it had the end shank of the bone removed
1 can tomato soup
2 onions, cut in half, then into wedges
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cloves of garlic sliced into thin pieces


Preheat oven to 150C.


With a sharp knife make slits in the lamb, place a sliver of garlic into each slit.


Heat a large saucepan (this saves the splatter mess a little) over high heat.  Brown all sides of the lamb.  Remove lamb, and place in a baking dish (I used a disposable foil one - saves on the mess later!)  Wipe out the sauce pan of the excess fat, and add the onions.  Cook gently for around 4-5 minutes, or until the onions are softened.






Place the onions over the top of the lamb.  Pour over the tomato soup.  Cover tightly with layers of foil, making sure it is very tightly enclosed.  Now because I had used a thin disposable foil tray I decided to put this tray into a larger baking dish - I then added around 1-2 cups of water to the baking dish, just enough so that it came half way up the sides of the disposable tray.  I did this so that during the long cooking process the bottom of the lamb didn't burn.


You could also it in a slow cooker (didn't fit in mine though) - or in a covered baking dish if you have one.  I just took the easy (less cleaning up method).  Aren't I nice to "The Darlings"?


Put in the oven, and walk away for 3-4 hours.


During the last 1 - 1 1/2 hours of cooking time you might like to add some vegetables (to another baking tray).  I baked some sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots and of course potato.  As the temperature of the oven is lower than usual the vegetables will take a little longer to bake.  Mine were in there for around 1 1/2 hours, and they were lovely and golden.


After 4 hours, the lamb was lovely and tender, almost falling off the bones!!  Take the lamb from the tray and keep warm.


Put the tomato and onion mixture into a saucepan, and simmer over medium high heat for 5 minutes, or until it has reduced slightly.


Serve the lamb with roasted vegetables, and the tomato gravy.




So Dear Readers have you ever purchased anything over the internet that seemed too good to be true?  If so what was it?

No comments:

Post a Comment