WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, August 27, 2010

Banana Bread

I know I have banged on about flawed recipes before - but here is another one!!


As you know my oven is out of action.  Why does it take so long to order some hinges and re-glue the glass?  They haven't even ordered the parts yet - and they are not going to re-glue until next week - hello, you have had it for two weeks!!! - Don't you know there are people out there waiting for my oven required recipes!!!.

Sorry, not complaining about service companies here I am complaining about flawed recipes....

Anyway saw this recipe for Banana Bread and even though the oven was out of action I thought, I can't let those bananas go to waste - will attempt this in my little convection oven!  I have learnt over time that when "baking" in it I have to adjust the temperate by a good 20 degrees - so with that thought in mind I adjusted the temperature - to 130 degrees C?!!? Oh well, it is a printed recipe - they must be right. Right??  Now, I know that I didn't have the correct pan that they were asking for - but in the scheme of things it's depth was really the only thing lacking, so I can only blame myself for the overflow (which by the way was yummy, crispy, crunchy and almost like banana toffee!!).  I will give you the recipe as it was printed in the MasterChef Magazine - try it at 150 degrees if you will!!



Banana Bread with Honeyed Ricotta


1 2/3 cups self raising flour
1 tsp bicarb soda
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 over ripe bananas, mashed
2 tbs greek style yoghurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups walnuts, roasted, halved
150g ricotta
1/2 cup honey


Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.  Grease and line the base and sides of an 8cm x 11cm x 30cm (6 cup) loaf pan with baking paper.  Sift flour, bicarb soda, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp salt into a bowl.


Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar on high speed until thick and pale.  Reduce speed to low-medium and gradually add oil in a thin steady stream.  Add bananas, yoghurt and vanilla, and beat until well combined.  Add flour mixture and three quarters of the walnuts and stir until combined.  Pour batter into prepared pan and scatter with remaining walnuts.  Bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.


Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.


Meanwhile, combine ricotta and 2 tbs honey in a bowl.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp cinnamon.  Place 4 tbs honey in a small pan and warm slightly.


Drizzle banana bread with warm honey.  Thickly slice and serve with honeyed ricotta.

Now please try this - perhaps it was just my crappy little convection oven - perhaps this is not a flawed recipe at all!!!

I will tell you though, that the flavour of the cake was really, really good, even though it was a little undercooked in the centre.  It made a great dessert.  I didn't make the ricotta - so I can't comment on that - but it was definitely worth giving another try (when I have my real oven back!!).

One thing that I can produce OK in the convection oven is the caramel slice that you will find the recipe for in the baking section.  I can't keep it up the them - they love it, and are already asking for more!

2 comments:

  1. I make this often, and find it takes a bit longer in my oven.As far as getting your oven repaired, try living in the bush where it takes months to get a repairman, even when oven is still under warranty! We bought a convection microwave as a temporary oven which also cooks this recipe well. Am experimenting now with it, for granddaughter with allergies, so no yoghurt and egg replacer. Mixture tastes OK, so we'll see how it turns out. Lou.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe - it is my go-to banana bread recipe and the "bread" stays moist for a couple of days (if it lasts that long). I use a cup of sugar instead and it tastes lovely. I always include something else such as raspberries, blueberries, sultanas, dates or different nuts depending on what I have in my pantry.

    I have had people who have tried it ask for the recipe so this is always a good sign.

    ReplyDelete