WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Roast Lamb with Potatoes and Onion Gravy

Sometimes it doesn't do well messing with a classic.

I love a roast lamb dinner, but you know how it is, you just want to try something different - you really can't help yourself when you see a lovely glossy "styled" photo can you?

So last night I messed with a classic.  The response was mixed.  I liked it, but I don't think I will try and reinvent the wheel again when it comes to the good old fashioned lamb roast.  Just cook that basic roast that Mum has cooked for over 40 years - you can't go wrong!!  My Mum always made a tomato and onion side dish that was topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese, and of course there were lashings of pumpkin, potatoes, and sweet potato!  We also never had a roast lamb without green beans!  Perhaps I will have to share this one with you all one day!!

Saying that though - if you are up to it, and want to try something different - give this a go!!

Roast Lamb with Potatoes and Onion Gravy


Serves 6-8


2.5 kg leg of lamb
60g sliced pancetta, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 tsp chopped rosemary, plus 1 sprig, small sprigs separated
25g butter, at room temperature
1.5kg potatoes, cut into 1cm slices (I used baby Lady Christl)
2 cups beef stock


Onion Gravy


2 tbsp olive oil
4 small red onions, thinly sliced
2 tbs plain flour
1 cup dry red wine
600ml beef stock

Preheat oven to 210C fan forced.  Using a small paring knife, make deep incisions all over the meaty parts of the lamb.


Combine the pancetta, garlic, lemon rind and chopped rosemary in a bowl.  Using fingers, push the pancetta mixture into the incisions.  Push a rosemary spring into each incision.  Spread the butter over the lamb and season well.


Lightly grease the base of a roasting pan with a little olive oil, and scatter the potato slices over the base of the pan.  Season with salt and pepper.  Top with the lamb.  Pour the stock over the potatoes and roast for 15 minutes.


Reduce the oven temperature to 160C (fan).  Roast for another 1 1/4 hours (rare) or 1 hour 35mins for medium.


Meanwhile make the onion gravy.  Heat the oil in a pan on medium-low.  Cook the onion for 10-15 minutes, or until soft and golden brown.  Add the flour and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.  Add the wine and bring to the boil.  Simmer for 4 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.  Add the stock and simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the gravy thickens slightly.  Season to taste.


Cover the lamb and rest for 10 minutes.


Slice and serve the lamb with the potatoes and onion gravy, and vegetables of choice.

As I said, there was really nothing wrong with this dish, other than the fact my lot seem to like the bog standard, roast lamb (with no unusual additions!!!).

I regret that the camera was "malfunctioning" last night.  I think I have been using it too much, and the poor old battery needs replacing!! So no photos today Dear Readers!!!

So tell me Dear Readers is your family adventurous, or do they like the tried and true, with no changes please!!   What is your version of the roast lamb dinner?

1 comment:

  1. Who doesn't love a good roast lamb dinner? Its a favourite in my household and there would be mayhem if I dared to mess with it (although I often cook adlib)- loving your recipes Cate.

    ReplyDelete