WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, July 19, 2010

Choc Chip Brownies & BBQ Marinade

Are you addicted to MasterChef the same as me?  If not I apologise, and suggest that you skip the next couple of lines and head straight to the blue text and the recipe!

Yesterday afternoon I was catching up on Friday's Master Class on the internet, while I was waiting for my latest batch from the oven to be ready.  I was watching Gary make his Chocolate Gluttony, and you will never guess what I was waiting on to come out from the oven .... you got it  - Brownies!!!  His recipe was pretty much the same as mine, so I say this is a good base to experiment with.  Even give your own "Chocolate Gluttony" a go using this brownie mix as the base.


Choc Chip Brownies


250g butter
2 cups caster sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 180C (non fan).  Line a lamington slab pan with baking paper.


Melt the butter in a large bowl in the microwave.  Stir in the sugar.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and stir until the mixture is thick and glossy.


Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, and stir well until combined.  Stir in the vanilla, and chocolate chips.


Spread in the prepared pan.


Bake for 30 minutes, or until  - and here is Gary's tip - makes sure the edges are firm, there is a nice crispy topping, and the centre is still soft.  This way you will have a lovely gooey brownie.  Of course if you don't want the gooey - simply cook for a minute or two longer.

So Dear Readers what would you include in your Chocolate Gluttony Dessert??  Do tell!

I think I am still a little in holiday mode, and not that organised in the pantry department.  It seems so hard to get the kids to go to the shops to get food.  When I tell them we need to go get food they tell me don't worry Mum - just order pizza!!  Ain't life simple when you are a kid?

So anyway, we decided we wanted a BBQ last night - I rummaged around in the freezer and discovered some long forgotten lamb rump steaks.  They looked a little freezer burnt - but a good marinade would fix that!  Looked in the pantry - nothing ready made there.  Will have to concoct something up!  Here is what I made, and I must say - it tasted pretty good!

BBQ Marinade


1/2 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine
2 tbs brown sugar
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tsp honey
1 tsp mustard powder


Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.  


Use to marinade, steak or lamb.

So tomorrow, with a little ambivalence I wave good bye to "The Darlings" as they head back to school.  Happy - because I can do whatever I want without arguing with them about why we need to do it.  Sad - because it's back to all the running around after school with all the sporting activities that are back on again - late night dinners, and the usual hectic schedule.  Oh well - can't have life easy all the time can you??

1 comment: