WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

 Apparently I am not allowed to post a blog just because I like the recipe.  It has to be a unanimous decision that the meal is a winner!  Given those parameters there would be very few recipes posted!  Usually there is only two to three of us eating most of the meals that I prepare in this house on any given night.  Yes, I am still catering separate meals to suit the finicky palates of "The Darlings"!  I keep telling them that it is time that they tried a little more, mind you they a starting high school in a week or so, so I think I have done my dash on that one.  I pity their poor wives, they a going to be so hard to feed, and I can tell you it is not for lack of trying on my part!

 

Anyway, back to the story.... Last night's meal as far as I was concerned, was a winner!  Not, so for DH, he left most of his on the plate!  So the cat dined well last night on swordfish!  What was it that was so repugnant?  A lovely fresh watermelon salad along with a piece of panfried swordfish, and our usual - smashed potatoes (thank goodness for them, as that was all DH ate!).  I will let you make your own decision on this one.  If you like watermelon, cucumber, olives and feta cheese, give it a go, it is lovely and light and refreshing (perfect for summer dining, that is if we ever get any summer, one month to go and we really haven't seen too much in the way of summer weather this year!).

 

Mediterranean Watermelon Salad

From Good Taste Magazine, February edition

 

 

 

Serves 4

 

600g seedless watermelon, rind removed

1 Lebanese cucumber, end trimmed

1/4 red onion, finely diced

1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives

1/2 cup torn fresh mint leaves

100g feta cheese, crumbled

2 tsp olive oil

2 tsp red wine vinegar 

Sal and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

 

In a small cup combine the vinegar and olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Keep aside.

 

Cut the watermelon and cucumber in to 2cm chunks.  Place the watermelon, cucumber, onion and olives into a bowl.  Pour the dressing over the salad, and gently toss to combine.  Gently mix through the feta and mint leaves.

 

Serve with grilled/barbecued fish or chicken.

 

I thought it was a winner!  You decide!

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like a winner to me, I am happy to pop over and play cat if that is what your cat gets for dinner LOL Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be very suspicious of watermelon salad but after I made it I loved it. It had watermelon, fetta, olives and mint in it with a lemon juice dressing. It went so well with the lamb backstraps I had marinated. I think your salad with the swordfish would have been amazing. Glad the whole family enjoyed it. And yes, where is the summer? Another cool day here today.

    ReplyDelete