WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Taquitos and Stuffed Peppers



I don't know why I had such a hard time with this fortnight's Cookbook Challenge.  The theme this fortnight was crunchy.  You would not think it would be that hard.

I sat and thought - couldn't come up with anything - even googled crunchy recipes - and all I came up with was a lot of fried stuff.  Perhaps therein lies my problem?!  We do not tend to do a lot of fried food in this house - don't like the mess it makes, and well.... we can do without it.  I did have an earlier attempt last week - decided to make honey chicken - but no, did not stop there - I thought let's fry up some rice vermicelli - that's crunchy!!!  Sadly after all the effort of making the batter (and I can't say that I was entirely happy with the batter I made), and then frying it all up - I just couldn't be bothered taking the photo - so no crunchy!!!

Now I don't like to admit defeat - so last night I thought I would rectify this non crunchy problem and make taquitos for dinner!!  Lovely little crunchy Mexican treats.  Usually fried - but I wanted to bake them instead!  Well the theory was good - but were they great???  Look, in my eyes they were what they were - crispy, crunchy little Mexican morsels.  They are not something I would probably ever order in a Mexican restaurant - so perhaps that is why I was not enamoured with them.  But in order to not fail this fortnight's challenge I present my Crunchy Menu!!

PS - I was eating alone - so I kinda just threw all the things together - measurements are all approximations!!!



Homemade Salsa


3-4 tomatoes - depending on size, cut into very small pieces
1 green shallot, finely chopped
2 chargrilled green chillies (the long kind)* finely chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
2 tbs chopped coriander
salt

* To chargrill the chillies place under a hot grill for approximately 5-10 minutes, or until skin is blistered and black.  Allow to cool, them remove skin.

Place all the ingredients in a bowl.  Season to taste, adjust chilli intensity to suit.


Taquitos


Serves 2


4 corn tortillas
BBQ chicken meat, shredded (approx 100g)
Prawn meat (approx 100g shelled weight), finely chopped
1 clove crushed garlic
Salsa
Grated Havarti Cheese
Olive oil

In a bowl combine the shredded chicken meat, and the chopped prawn meat with enough salsa and grated cheese to be just moist.  You don't want it too wet or it will make your taquitos soggy.



Lightly brush the corn tortillas with a little olive oil.  Turn the tortilla over.  Place a small amount of chicken/prawn mixture on each tortilla.  Roll up into a little "cigar shape".  Place on a baking tray.

Bake in oven that has been preheated to 200 degrees.  Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and "crunchy"!.

Serve with extra salsa, sour cream and avocado.



You might like to add a little extra to the side of this dish - I decided to make a little stuffed pepper.  I bought the long kind that look like this - only straighter



I cut it in half lengthwise then stuffed it with the following:

Stuffed Peppers


2 long yellow peppers, halved
100g prawns meat  (approx 100g shelled weight)
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
salsa
salt and pepper
40g haloumi cheese with chillis diced
20g grated havarti cheese

Combine all the above ingredients in a bowl.  Place into the pepper halves.  Bake in the oven alongside the taquitos  (but for only 5-10 minutes, or until the prawn meat has cooked through - do not overcook as the prawn meat will become tough!)



So there you have it - my crunchy menu!!  Who would have thought it could be so hard??  I am sure now that I have laboured over it, and posted what I feel is a substandard post, I the big lightbulb in my head will go off and I will think of something infinitely better I could have made.  So be it - that is life!!!


2 comments:

  1. Well done on not giving in. I'm the same as you - not a big fan of fried food so this theme was a bit limiting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baked corn tortillas - and in fact I kept thinking raw veg and nuts when I thought crunchy but had to wait til I felt in the mood for salad - just not salad weather lately - but taquitos would be nice and warming

    ReplyDelete