WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, December 27, 2010

Ginger and Maple Glazed Ham

I know that I have given you a recipe already that I proclaimed was the best ham glaze ever but I decided to try something new this year.

Yesterday we went to my brother's house and had a lovely Christmas lunch, I got off very easily, all I had to make was the salads.  So today I have decided to make us a ham (it just isn't Christmas without a glazed ham in the fridge that you can pick at!!)

I saw this recipe in the December issue of MasterChef Magazine and thought that it had all the elements in it that we liked - maple syrup, apricot nectar and char sui sauce - we just love char sui sauce on pork - so why not give this a go!!



Ginger and Maple Glazed Ham
adapted from MasterChef Magazine - December Issue

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups apricot nectar *
2 tbs char sui sauce
1 tbs ground ginger
6 star anise, plus extra to decorate

Preheat oven to 160C.

To make glaze place maple syrup, sugar, apricot nectar, char sui sauce, ginger and star anise in a sacepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, or until slightly reduced.

Set aside until needed.

To prepare ham, gently prise the skin away from the meat by sliding your fingers under the skin (keep it for covering up the ham later).  Using a sharp knife score the fat at 3cm intervals in a diamond pattern.

Line a disposable foil tray with 2 layers of foil.  Place the ham on the top, and brush gently with the glaze.  Place the ham in the oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours.  Make sure to glaze the ham at least every 20 minutes.

Decorate with extra star anise, if desired.



*  I used a can of apricot nectar that only had 405ml in it - so unless you can use the extra - just buy the smaller can.

The recipe also stated to add cloves at the points of each diamond on the ham prior to baking - oops I forgot that - plus we are not keen on the cloves.  So add - or not - the choice is yours.

The verdict?  Well it was lovely, and if it is Asian style flavours you are looking for then this is the one for you - everyone agreed though - the tried and true that I make each year was the winner.  The resounding question at the table last night was why did you try a new ham glaze??

So what are we having to go with the ham??

I have decided to make a pasta chicken bake for "the Darlings" - I am using the principle of my 4 ingredient pasta -  pasta, cooked chicken meat, soup mix (in this case cream of chicken and mushroom), and grated cheese - too easy!!!

I have also made my own butter!!! Yes made my own butter using the Thermomix - I am amazed at how easy it was.

Butter
from Everyday cooking for every family

500 - 600g fresh chilled cream (it said not to use thickened - but that was all I had!)

Place butterfly in TM bowl.

Add cream and blend for 1-3 minutes to separate on speed 4.

Once separated, strain the buttermilk carefully.  (keep the buttermilk - we are using it in a minute to make bread!!)   Remove the butterfly.

Place 500g of cold water into the TM bowl along with the strained butter and mix for 5-10 seconds on speed 4.

Strain the liquid again through the basket and the end result is your butter.

What I did was squeeze it with my hands to remove any more liquid and then added it back into the TM bowl and added a little salt (yes I know - but I like my butter salted!!).

I then mixed it again for 5-10 seconds on speed 4.

Remove the butter from the bowl and shape in a container.  Place in the fridge until ready to use.

So of course now I need (no pun intended) to make bread!!

Buttermilk Bread
from Everyday cooking for every family


180g buttermilk (I had almost enough left over from the butter)
200g lukewarm water
20g fresh yeast
1 tsp salt
500g bakers flour
20g oil

Place all ingredients into the TM in the above order and mix for 5 seconds on speed 7.

Set dial to closed lid position.  Knead for 3 minutes on interval speed.

Rub a little oil into your hands and remove the dough from the bowl.  Place into a lightly oiled bowl.  Cover and set aside in a warm place to allow to prove for 30 minutes.

Knead slightly then shape dough into loaf form and set aside again until it has risen to double the size.

Place on a tray and bake in oven for 45 minutes at 200C.

You can increase the amount of buttermilk if you dont have enough left over with water.

I am thinking now that I probably need some kind of salad to go with our feast - so what not whip up a little coleslaw in the Thermomix - it will only take around 4 seconds!!!


Can you believe this took only seconds to make???




Coleslaw

adapted from Everyday cooking for every family

200g cabbage, roughly cut
100g carrots, roughly cut
1 green apple, cut into quarters (no need to peel or deseed!)
2 green shallots
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbs mayonnaise *

Place all ingredients into the TM bowl and chop for 2-3 seconds on speed 4 . Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, and chop for an additional 2-3 seconds on speed 4 or until desired consistency.

* Mayonnaise made previously in Thermomix - or use prepared mayo.

So there you have it - our Boxing Day Feast fit for a king!!!

Can you see how amazingly easy having a Thermomix is - I mean here I sit typing away - my bread is proving, the ham is glazing - it is really all too easy!!  I don't want to scare off any readers that do not have the Thermomix - you can achieve all this without it - but believe me it does make it a whole lot easier!!

So Dear Readers did Santa bring you all that you wanted for Christmas?  Did you get any labour saving devices that you had been longing for?




2 comments:

  1. Lovely recipes but I like the idea of maple on the glazed ham, I will remember that one. Hope you had a good Christmas, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of having ham as a centrepeice, it looks delicious and the smell is just divine. Your ham is gorgeous, I can't wait to try more glazes on the reduced ham at the supermarket!!

    ReplyDelete