WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Sticky Coca Cola Pork Ribs

The men in my house are always asking for ribs for dinner. I usually have to say, sorry, I don't have time to make them today, as the recipe that I love the best is quite time consuming.  First make the sauce, then boil the ribs, and then the final baking. However, all that changed when I tried this recipe last night!

For me ribs have to be meltingly soft, and you must be able to almost suck the meat from the bones, and that is where time factor comes in. This recipe however, has you cooking the ribs in a sauce (if you can even call it that - just three ingredients - one of them being coca cola!). You then drain off the liquid, and baste them with another sauce (yes magic ingredient again is coca cola!). The beauty of all this is that they are baked in the oven, so virtually no work involved! Especially if you combine them with baked corn on the cob, and baked smashed potatoes!

This recipe was one that I found in the current edition of Delicious Magazine. It was, however, entitled Dr. Pepper ribs, but I couldn't find any 2 litre bottles of Dr. Pepper, and I thought it a little too extravagant to buy that many cans, so I decided to alter the recipe slightly and use coca cola instead!  Must say they were pretty good, and don't think I will try and look too hard for Dr. Pepper next time!



Coca Cola Ribs
Adapted from Delicious Magazine, December/January edition

Serves 4-6

Ribs (I usually serve 1 rack per person), each rack cut in half
4 cups coca cola
4 star anise
2 cinnamon quills
2 tbs Dijon mustard
2 tbs worcerstershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup (firmly packed) brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
4 disposable foil baking trays (Saves so much washing up!)

Use 2 disposable foil baking trays. Place half of the ribs in each tray. Put 2 star anise and 1 cinnamon quill in each tray, add 2 cups of coca cola to each tray. Cover tightly with foil, and place into an oven that has been preheated to 160 degrees. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.



Meanwhile make the basting sauce.

Place 2 cups of coca cola , and all remaining ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to the boil (watch carefully, as while the gas is escaping from the coke, it tends to bubble quite a lot!) Simmer gently for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until thick and syrupy.

Remove the ribs for the cooking liquid, discard liquid. Place the ribs into a new baking tray. Brush liberally with the basting sauce. Bake for a total of 45 minutes, basting liberally every 15 minutes. You want them to be lovely and dark, and sticky!



Serve with copious amounts of paper napkins - you will need them! These ribs are finger licking good!

So now I have no excuse not to make ribs more often - these really take no effort at all, let the oven do all the work I say!

5 comments:

  1. I think cola is an absolutely underrated ingredient! I love using it in glazes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great! This is the second time I'm making them and everyone loves them. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 160° ? Is it Celcius degres ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Kate these are grouse

    ReplyDelete