WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, July 18, 2011

Asian Style Mussels in the Thermomix

It's not so much that we haven't been eating, but I have been a bit down in the dumps of late.

As you know I have a son with Prader Willi Syndrome (PWS), and for us life, and food is a constant challenge.

Well PWS raised it's big ugly head in a very big way over the last few weeks, and to tell you the truth it all just became a bit too much for me.  So anything relating to food was something I just didn't want to deal with.  Meals were produced, but I didn't have the enthusiasm that I usually did about them.  Meal time in this house can be a challenge at the best of times - but when food is the BIGGEST issue in the house - you really don't want to think about meals, or taking photos of them.

We are becoming very close to living our lives with food in total lockdown.  How hard is that going to be??  Incredibly hard on all of us - but to make it easier for "The boy who can never be filled" it is probably something that we need to do sooner rather than later.  You see life for him is one constant thought about how, and where he is going to get his next bit of food from.  This can be regardless of whether he has just eaten or not.  His brain is always telling him he is hungry.

But enough about that......

One of the meals that I made last week was a one pot wonder in the Thermomix.  (By the way I have officially graduated from Thermomix school and I did my first demonstration on the weekend - boy was I nervous - I actually think nervous is a bit of an understatement!!!).



Asian Style Mussels

Serves 3

1kg mussels, de-bearded and cleaned
250g green prawns, peeled
3 cloves garlic
1 tbs yellow curry paste
2-3cm piece of ginger
1 lemongrass, pale section only
270ml light coconut cream
400m light coconut milk
juice of 1 lime
1 tbs fish sauce
2 tbs palm sugar, grated
1 tsp sesame oil

various vegies - such as asparagus, bok choy, broccolini
Chopped coriander to garnish

Steamed rice to serve.

Place garlic, ginger and lemongrass into TM bowl and chop for 5 seconds on speed 7.  Scrape down bowl with spatula and repeat if necessary.

Add the sesame oil and saute for 2 minutes at 100 degrees on speed 1.

Add the remaining ingredients to the TM bowl.

In the varoma receptacle place the vegetables in the bottom layer, and in the second layer place the mussels and prawns.

Place the varoma receptacle in place and cook for 20 minutes at varoma temperature on speed 3.

Place the steamed rice in a serving bowl.  Top with vegetables and the steamed seafood.  Pour over the coconut sauce.



Easy, peasy, and oh so tasty!!!!

So Dear Readers bear with me and my lapses in posting - food just can be the root of all evil sometimes!!!

What do you do when you get down in the dumps?  How do you dust yourself off and get back up again?  I'm sure I know the answer to that - food!!! Wonderful food!!!

9 comments:

  1. What a challenge you must be facing - I don't know how I'd deal with it...probably get quite frustrated. When I'm down I bitch, moan and complain - either to anyone who will listen, or just to myself. It's good to get out, go for a walk - do something nice and see the sunny side of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just looked up PWS to understand it properly, and I can understand what a huge challenge you have on your hands and how stressful if must be for the family.
    Your Thermomix demonstrations I am sure will help to distract you, but you know that you always have the PWS to go home to.
    This looks just my kind of recipe. Take care, my thoughts (for what they are worth), are with you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the demo, i'm sure you were great. I work in cytogenetics so it is very interesting to here your son has PWS, i cannot imagine how bigger a challenge it must be. I love the look of your mussels, yum.

    ReplyDelete