WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pork Ragu

I think I am becoming a little blase about life with Thermie!  I just didn't realise how much he helps me out in the kitchen until I looked back at the photos of all the things I had made this week (that I have yet to post!!).

So in the way of a wrap up I will show you what Thermie has done with me lately....

Saturday
As you know he helped me out with the sofrito base of my Osso Bucco, and then cooked the polenta (which meant no pot of bubbling yellow lava on the stove - hurray!!!)

Sunday
After spending the day at Rugby, and being really tired, I didn't feel like making dinner - but Thermie whipped up some hummus,

and then some tabouli



to go with the lovely fresh chevapi I had bought in Haberfield the other day.

Dinner was on the table in minutes!


Monday
I had purchased some lamb skewers from the Haberfield IGA (which incidentally were delicious - and so, so tender!!!) .  To go with these Thermie made a ham and cheese pullapart bread.



While the bread was proving Thermie then got to work making up a pot of Minestrone Soup for "the Lad" to take to school for his lunches!!!



Tuesday
Having an extra person for dinner, and not knowing exactly whether sport was cancelled due to rain, I was a little unsure about what to make for dinner.  Quick dash around the supermarket to pick up a few things, then back home to Thermie for some assistance!  Once again he came to the rescue and helped me make the sofrito base to the night's meal.

According to Wikipedia Sofrito is the culinary combination of aromatics used as a base in Mediterranean based cooking. Typically onion, garlic and tomatoes are used - but of course you can add to it!!  I have added carrots and celery - and then mushrooms.

While having no particular recipe I was following last night here is what I threw into the pot .....



Pork Ragu

1.2kg pork scotch fillet (neck) cut into large chunks
1 onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 stalks celery, finely diced
3 small carrots, finely diced
100g pancetta, roughly chopped
200g mushrooms, quartered
2 x 400g canned cherry tomatoes
1 cup red wine
1 tbs tomato paste
1 tbs Thermomix vegetable stock concentrate
3/4 cup water
375g pappardelle pasta (cooked according to packet directions)
parmesan cheese, grated

Add a little olive oil to a large saucepan.  Add the onion and garlic, cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, or until starting to soften.  Add the pancetta and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until starting to crispen.  Add the carrot and celery, and cook for 2-3 minutes.  Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to soften.

Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, stock concentrate, and water.  Mix well and bring to the boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer.  Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the lid and allow to simmer for an additional 1-2 hours - or until the meat is tender and you are able to break the meat apart easily.


After 2-3 hours cooking time (yes I know it is a long time - but you will be rewarded with this dish!!!) Using the back of a wooden spoon gently push to meat into the side of the saucepan to break up the meat. You should end up with lovely stringy pieces of meat!!!

Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Serve on top of pappardelle pasta, then top with freshly grated parmesan cheese (which Thermie has grated for you while you have been watching the news!!!!)


Not only was this a lovely warming meal - it was a great budget buster!!!  The piece of pork cost only $13 and I will be able to get 2 meals from what I made last night.  Loyal readers will know how much I love my pork scotch fillet!!!  So very versatile!

If you are looking to impress, and make a beautifully tasty meal - try making a ragu like this - it is so much nicer than using regular old mince.  It may take a little longer - but there really is no more effort involved - just set it up and let it simmer it's little heart away!!  You won't be disappointed with the aromas or the flavour!!!!

Wednesday
Never being off duty, my faithful friend Thermie rocked up for duty early this morning and made us some wonderfully warming porridge for breakfast.

Will I give Thermie the day off today - not likely!! Tonight he will be making the mashed potato and gravy to go with the tomato and provolone sausages I picked up last week.

What is that saying - There's no rest for the wicked!!  and Thermie - you are wickedly good to have around the kitchen!!!!

4 comments:

  1. i loooovvve the look of this, and also that ham and cheese bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think it would work in my slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it would work - but you would have to cut back on the liquid. Perhaps one can of tomatoes, and no water.

    I find the slow cooker tends to dilute the flavours - simmering on the stove tends to increase - because you are evaporating - personal choice!!

    Let us know how you go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic and your son is blessed to have you make such a wonderful soup for him to take to school

    ReplyDelete