WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thai Chicken Burgers with Cucumber Relish

My loyal readers will know that last week was a bit of a slow week for me in the blogging department - no bloggable meals to speak of, and hence not many posts.  This week I have tried to redeem myself - I have had a few successes on the table - but my camera failed me last night the bl*#@y thing wiped out the photos of last night's meal (oh, and the night before's as well - stupid me hadn't downloaded them!!).  I am so cranky (that's me being polite - I was a lot more than cranky!!!!)   Last night's meal was great, and I knew I had to share it with you - so I have taken a photo of the photo in this month's Delicious to show you (but I must say I actually thought my meal looked better than theirs!!!)  Will explain the differences as we go along.

Of course this was a meal where the Thermomix shone!!! Don't worry though - if you don't have a Thermomix this meal is still very achievable!!!



Thai Chicken Burgers with Cucumber Relish
Photo From Delicious Magazine March edition
Recipe slightly modified

Serves 4


1kg chicken breast fillets, chopped
1 lemongrass stem (pale part only)
1 1/3 cups (100g) fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbs plain flour
3 spring onions
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tbs chopped coriander
1 egg, lightly beaten
grated zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra to serve
1 1/2 tbs soy sauce
1 long red chilli, seeds removed
1 tsp caster sugar
2 lebanese cucumbers
1tbs rice vinegar
chilli *

Sweet Potato Fries

600g sweet potato
olive oil
sour cream and sweet chilli sauce to serve

As I am using the Thermomix my method will be a little different.

Place the bread into the TM bowl, process for 10 seconds on speed 8.  Place the crumbs in a large bowl.

Cut the lime into quarters, place in the TM bowl along with the lemongrass, spring onions, chilli and coriander.  Process for 3 seconds on speed 7.  Scrape down bowl and repeat until all ingredients are chopped finely.  Place chopped herbs into the bowl with the breadcrumbs.

Place 200-300g of diced chicken meat at a time into the TM bowl, and process for 15 seconds on speed 7.  Place the chicken mince in the bowl with all the other ingredients.  Repat until all the chicken is minced.

Note - you can do all of this in a food processor!

Place the egg into the TM bowl, put in closed lid position and press Turbo once.  Add the egg mixture to the bowl with all the other ingredients.  Add the flour, soy sauce and fish sauce to the chicken mix, and mix well using your hands, until all the ingredients are combined.

Shape into 8 patties.  Place on a plate, cover and sit in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.

To make the cucumber relish, place the caster sugar and rice vinegar in a bowl, mix well until the sugar is dissolved.  * I had used up all my chilli, so I added a small amount of sambal oelek to the vinegar mix - use your discretion on how much/if any chilli you use. Peel the cucumbers, and using the vegetable peeler cut the cucumber into ribbons until you get to the middle, seed, section.  Cut the middle section into cubes.  Mix the cucumber through the vinegar and sugar mix.  Put aside until needed.

I also made my own sweet chilli sauce in the Thermomix - now again you can just do this on the stove.

Sweet Chilli Sauce

100g raw sugar
1 red chilli
120g rice vinegar
good splash of water approximately 1/3 cup
mirin

Blitz the chilli in the TM - 2-3 seconds on speed 7, repeat if necessary.  Add all the other ingredients.  Cook on varoma temperature, Reverse and soft speed for 15 minutes.  Make sure to leave the measuring cup out, and place the "basket" over the hole to allow evaporation.  I actually make it quite thick - so when it was cooked I added a splash of mirin and an equal splash of water until it was a thinner consistency.

Sweet Potato Fries

Preheat oven to 200C.

Peel the sweet potato, and cut in "fry" shapes.  Put in a bowl and mix with a good splash of olive oil.  Place on a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper.  Bake for approximetely 25 minutes total - turning, so that they brown evenly.

To cook the chicken patties heat a frypan over medium heat.  Add a small amount of oil, brown the patties for 2 minutes each side.  Place on a baking tray that has been lined with foil.  Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cooked through.

Serve the patties warm with a small salad, cucumber relish, sweet potato fries and a small cup of sour cream topped with sweet chilli sauce, and of course your home made sweet chilli sauce on the side!!!




Got a big thumbs up from Mr. CCC with this one.  We actually found the patties quite big and 1 - 1/2 patties was quite sufficient.  That's fine with me because now I have some patties in the freezer for a Thai Chicken Burger Pizza!

So Dear Readers do you have times when all that can possiblly go wrong does go wrong?  Like the camera meltdown on a good blogging week!!!  I hope I am not alone here, and I hope you will forgive me for the photos on this post - but like I said, I just had to share the recipe with you.  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!


2 comments:

  1. hehe sometimes i just have days where i drop everything i touch! once i dropped 3 eggs in a row and decided to call it quits :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we can forgive you! Don't be silly, things like that happen to all of us :D They still sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete