WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Surimi Pasta

Call me crazy - but on my last night of freedom before the marauding hordes came home I didn't feel like eating leftovers.  I really should have been taking advantage of the quiet - no one asking for dinner - no pressure to perform in the kitchen - but no - I just couldn't sit still in front of the TV and relax (I wish I had - they were back home for I swear 5 minutes, and I was threatening to send them back from wence they came!!!)

Unfortunately I did not have anything defrosted (I had planned on making a Malaysian Chicken Curry - but had put the chicken in the freezer thinking I was going to have the leftovers from my Pasta
e Fagioli from the other night).  No, that wasn't what I felt like - I felt like something seafoody - it was after all Good Friday isn't that what we are supposed to eat??!!  What should I make?  I did have some green prawns in the freezer - no too much fiddling around.  Then it hit me,  I remembered seeing a bag of "seafood extender" "fake crab" - Surimi - call it what you will -   when I had cleaned out the freezer recently -  this was going to be dinner!!  Easy to defrost (simply place on a plate over the air conditioning register for a few minutes - and voila - ready to prepare!!!)




This is kind of an old standby from days gone by - you could do this with prawns if you like - but the sweetness of the basil really lends itself well to the surimi!  I love how quick and easy this is!



Surimi Pasta

Serves 3 - 4


300g Surimi
3 tomatoes, diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 tbs tomato paste
1/2 cup shredded basil (cut into ribbons using scissors)
1/4 cup white wine
1 tsp sugar
200ml cooking cream
salt and pepper
200g pasta of choice (I used spaghetti)
grated parmesan to serve

Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling water for 10 minutes, or until cooked.  Drain well.

Heat a frypan over medium high heat.  Add a  splash of olive oil, fry the garlic for 1-2 minutes.  Add the tomatoes, and the tomato pasea  cook for 2-3 minutes, or until starting to thicken.  Add the white wine, salt and papper to taste, and the  sugar, simmer gently for 5 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.

Add the surimi, basil and cream.  Simmer gently for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.  Adjust seasonings if needed.



Toss through the pasta.

Serve in a bowl topped with parmesan cheese.



I can hear you saying - but doesn't this serve 3-4??  Yes - and yes I have more leftovers!  I really must learn to cook for one!!!  Too used to cooking for a crowd!!!


10 comments:

  1. This looks really yummy, I am not the greatest fan of seafood extender but it some dishes it really works! I have improved in cooking smaller portion sizes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendid concoction. It looks and sounds delicious and will be moving from your kitchen to mine before the day is over. I am new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had Surimi in quite a while. I remember my mom would just simply slice it up and saute it in some butter and serve it with rice. Simple dinners like that were so delicious - especially since mom cooked them! This pasta definitely sounds like a winner too though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seafood extender. Haven't had it for years though. This looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished making - delish! Thx

    ReplyDelete