WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Steamed Asian Style Salmon

You know what I love most about my Thermomix?

It's the fact that I can make gorgeous healthy, gourmet meals in next to no time, and with very little effort.  Our meal the other night was a case in point.

I guess you have figured out by now that we love our salmon here at this house.  Trouble is that the flavours that we like are not always what "The Darlings" will eat.  Steamed parcels of salmon give you the perfect opportunity to have different flavours, but with no more effort.




For us it was Asian Style Steamed Salmon.  This recipe is one that I used to make quite a lot when I was demonstrating how to cook seafood for our local fish shop.  You can wrap up the parcels and cook them in a pan, on the BBQ, or even place them in the oven.  I decided to make a meal in one - cook the rice in the Thermomix bowl, and steam the fish in the varoma.  Too easy!!





Asian Style Steamed Salmon

Serves 4

4 fresh eschalots
4 cm piece ginger
2-4 red chillies, seeds removed
2 cloves garlic
2 stalks lemongrass
1 tbs light soy sauce
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup coriander
1 tsp brown sugar

Now all the above ingredients need to be chopped - how you do it is up to you - by hand - in the food processor - me, I did mine in the Thermomix - just a few seconds on speed 7.

To make the parcels what you need to do is lay out two pieces of foil - in a cross formation.  That way you can wrap the first piece around the fish, then use the second to fully seal the package.

So place your foil on the bench, place a small amount of the coconut mixture on the foil.  Top with a piece of salmon, then place a little more coconut mixture on top of the fish.  Wrap up your parcel quickly (before the coconut milk tries to escape!)  Repeat with remaining fish and sauce.

Place the salmon packages in your desired cooking utensil - mine - the varoma!!

As you need liquid in the varoma to "steam" the fish - why not cook your rice instead!!!  Tonight I wanted to have coconut rice with the salmon.

Coconut Rice

400g Jasmine Rice
900g liquid - I used the remainder of the coconut milk, and made up the difference with water.
1/3 cup desiccated coconut

Rinse the rice to remove excess starch.  Place the water, coconut milk, and coconut in the TM bowl.  Place the rice in the basket.  Insert the basket into the TM bowl.  Cook for 30 minutes at Varoma temperature on speed 2.



So while Thermie does all the work for you - sit back and have a glass of wine!!  He will sound his bell when dinner is ready!


Garnish the salmon with cherry tomatoes and coriander.





"The Darlings" love Teriyaki Salmon - so I wrapped up their parcels accordingly.


There you have it - two easy meals - cooked with very little effort, and hardly and mess either!!!  You have just got to love that!

PS - don't think it is all love for the Thermomix - there are things about it that I don't love - but that's a whole other blog!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this looks like a perfect meal to me! Salmon is usually the only fish that I cook with, cause I love it so much. I will definitely make this!

    ReplyDelete