WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Chicken, Cinnamon and Cashew Quinoa Pilaf

You knew it was going to happen didn't you?  A long weekend, smack dab in the middle of the school holidays.  It wasn't going to do anything else was it?? I'm talking about the rain of course!!  Not that I am complaining - it has actually worked in my favour.  I had two big projects to work on this weekend, and there was no way I would have accomplished either of them if the sun had been out.

You see "Precious" turns 21 in a few weeks, and I have been making her a 21st powerpoint presentation.  There has been a long withstanding tradition in our family that we are presented a photograph album of 21years of embarrassing photos on the night of our party.  As we have now moved into the digital age -  what could be better than a digital display up there for all to see!!  It has taken me many days to do it, but I think I can now say that it is done!  So thank you rain!

Of course that has meant that I haven't had time to blog, or road test more cakes for the wedding next weekend - but I still have today left!

So as way of a catch up, here is our meal from the other night.

As is want to happen in this house meals do not always get served when they should - they often sit a little longer than anticipated, and this meal was no exception.  So with that in mind I issue you this little caveat - DO NOT LET THIS SIT - IT GOES STODGY!!  - it tasted and looked great prior to the 15 minute layover!!!



Chicken, Cinnamon and Cashew Quinoa Pilaf
Serves 4 - 5


1 tbs olive oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 clove crushed garlic
1 1/2 cups quinoa
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
1.2kg chicken tenderloins *
100g baby spinach
juice of 1 lemon
100g toasted cashews


* I had a bottle of Honey Mustard Dressing in the cupboard so I marinated the tenderloins in this - feel free to do with the chicken as you wish - but a little extra flavour doesn't go astray!


Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.  Add the cinnamon, garlic and anion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion softens.  Add the quinoa and stir to coat in the mixture.  Add the stock and then 1 cup of water, bring to the boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked. (DON'T OVER COOK!)


Meanwhile cook the tenderloins by lightly frying in a frypan over medium high heat until cooked.  When the chicken is cooked keep warm.


To the quinoa add the baby spinach and lemon juice.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.  


To serve place the quinoa on a plate, top with the chicken tenderloins, then sprinkle with cashews.



1 comment:

  1. What a lovely mix of flavours! :o I really like the addition of cinnamon to savoury dishes :)

    ReplyDelete