WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN










WELCOME TO MY KITCHEN!!
I hope you enjoy the food!!!

Friday, June 18, 2010

Chicken, Leek and Bacon Casserole

What a blogging tragic I have become.  One night this week I really didn't need to cook at all - I had some Spag Bol left over in the freezer that "The Darlings" would have quite happily eaten - but no, I had to cook a meal, just so I could tell you all about it the next day.  Big Mistake.  First of all I should have known that the meal I was about to make (Fettucini Carbonara) would have made them turn their "darling" little noses up.  But I guess I tried too hard, and the meal really wasn't even worth writing about!!  So there you have it - the reason it has been a slow (and disasterous week in this kitchen!)

So let's get over that and onto a success.

There is nothing that warms up your senses and the cockles of your heart more than a nice casserole.  You smell it cooking - the oven heats up the kitchen (which in my house is very much appreciated!) and then you get to sit down to a lovely hot dinner at the end of it.



Chicken, Leek and Bacon Casserole


Serves 6


1.2 kg chicken thighs (this will give you approx. 7 pieces)
2 medium leeks, trimmed, halved, washed, sliced
250g bacon, trimmed, chopped
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tbs fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup plain flour
2 cups chicken stock
250g button mushrooms, quartered


Preheat the oven to 160 Degrees C (fan forced).  Heat a large heavy based, flameproof casserole dish over medium heat.  Add a small amount of olive oil, cook the chicken in batches, for 5-6 minutes, or until golden.  Transfer to a plate.  It may stick to the pan, don't worry - just scrape up the bits in between batches and put with the rest of the chicken.


Reheat the pan, and add the bacon, garlic, leek and thyme.  You really don't need any oil - the fat in the bacon should be sufficient.  Cook, stirring for around 3 minutes, or until the leek is soft.


Add the wine, bring to the boil, stir in the flour (make sure you sprinkle it evenly over the dish to prevent lumps).  Cook for 1 minute.  Slowly add the chicken stock, stirring constantly.


Add the chicken back into the casserole dish, and add the mushrooms.


Bring to the boil.  Cover, and transfer to the oven.  Bake for 1 hour.  Remove the lid, and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.


Serve with mashed potato and steamed green beans.


A lovely easy winter casserole.  What could be better?  Well Dear Readers I hope all have had a good week in the kitchen - I know a couple of readers have been very busy, and from all accounts their families are very happy too!!

Please don't be turned off by my photography - it tasted much better than this photo looks!  Perhaps I better go to Food Stylist school!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. This is exactly the recipe I've been looking for. Here in Ireland, you can't beat a hearty tasty casserole during the winter months, and I love the taste combination of chicken with leeks and bacon. The long range weather forecast is predicting snow at the end of October, so your recipe will be perfect for those long, cold evenings. Mind you, there's nothing to stop me practising your delicious recipe now...! Thanks a million. Also, your photography is far from unappealing - the finished product looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the best casserole I've made all the family love it,I add carrots for a nit of colour and serve it with tiger bread!

    ReplyDelete